Joyce Chastain and Big Bend SHRM Certification Scholarships
Big Bend SHRM recognizes the importance of Human Resources professionals obtaining the SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) designation to demonstrate mastery of the profession. To support and encourage Big Bend SHRM members in obtaining this esteemed designation, Big Bend SHRM will award an eligible individual with a certification scholarship during the Spring and Fall certification session. Scholarship availability will be based on availability of Chapter funds.
The purpose of the Joyce Chastain and Big Bend SHRM Certification Scholarship program is to offer financial assistance to individuals who seek SHRM certification and whose employer does not provide financial assistance toward study group registration nor the purchase of SHRM Learning System materials.
Further, the scholarship program is offered only to currently active Big Bend SHRM members. Each scholarship affords the recipient with a new SHRM certification learning system and registration to a Big Bend SHRM certification study group.
To qualify for the Joyce Chastain or Big Bend SHRM Certification Scholarship, the applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Be a current Big Bend SHRM member at the time of application
- Meet the eligibility requirements for the SHRM Certification (visit https://www.shrm.org/certification/Pages/default.aspx for requirements)
- Register for the Big Bend SHRM Study Group (Big Bend SHRM study group registration will be waived or reimbursed for scholarship recipients)
- Purchase the SHRM Learning System through Big Bend SHRM
- Register to sit for the exam within the session window of the time of scholarship application
- Certify that s/he will not receive any employer organization support or reimbursement for SHRM Learning System, Big Bend SHRM study group registration, and SHRM certification exam or other SHRM Certification preparation fees.
Active Big Bend SHRM Executive Board members and the Certification Chair are not eligible for scholarships.
Scholarship Selection Criteria
Below is the selection criteria for the scholarship award.
- 40% work experience/progression (HR involvement and future career plans); current applicants without significant work experience will be reviewed based on academic background and breadth and quality of HR coursework)
- 40% Big Bend SHRM Chapter volunteer activity and/or other volunteer involvement to advance the HR Profession
- 20% professional and/or academic reference
All scholarship applications are reviewed and approved by the Big Bend SHRM Executive Board and Certification Chair.
Scholarships are awarded and administered without preferential treatment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, marital status, disability, Veteran status, recently separated Veterans, sexual orientation, and all other protected categories covered by law.
How to Apply
You can apply for the scholarships here.
Application deadlines are established 2 times per calendar year, based on dates coinciding with Big Bend SHRM Certification Study Groups, scheduled each Spring and Fall. Applications are reviewed and approved by the Big Bend SHRM Executive Board and Certification Chair. Active Big Bend SHRM Executive Board and Certification Chair are not eligible for scholarships. Terms and Conditions are subject to change without notice.
Prior to disbursement of scholarship funds, Certification exam registration and taking the exam within the applicable testing period, is required. Passing of Certification exam is not required, although it is expected that each scholarship recipient will diligently prepare for the purpose of passing the exam.
Scholarship recipients are required to register and participate in the Big Bend SHRM Spring or Fall certification study group.
Scholarships are also available through the SHRM Foundation. For more information about the SHRM Foundation's Certification Scholarship, click here.